Wednesday, July 21, 2010

African American Vernacular English




So in my ALL Black English class my white *emphasis on white* teacher decided to take a day to teach us African American Vernacular English (AAVE) the excuse*cough* I mean reason for African American slang or Ebonics (and Microsoft made me capitalize Ebonics, apparently it's a proper noun). Oh yea ladies and gentlemen your improper English has a name now; besides the fact that this is the most racist thing I've ever heard or seen in the class room, I heard my teacher out. It seems that this AAVE has its own rules that govern it. (Ha ha ha). Ok white man well if this is a proven part of American culture why when I'm in an interview and a hint of AAVE appears you send me out the door. Or how about the ACT that purposely puts the AAVE answers on the English portion of the test and wastes no time to mark it wrong. Oh!! Because it's not a language!!! Stop white woman!!! What are you doing, do you think this is building racial ties, making the world more suitable for black Ebonics. And for my teacher who though this was culturally relevant to teach me.......BUZZ OFF. Heck teach me Anglo-Saxon NASCAR English so when I visit my cousin in Alabama I can know what the heck his neighbor is saying... racist.



Common Rules of AAVE


1. F instead of TH- AAVE is believed to root from Blacks struggle to learn the language when brought to the Americas during slavery and in African dialect the th sound does not exist therefore it is replaced with a more common sound the F.

EXAMPLE: teef instead of teeth

2. use of word BE- meant to show past present and continuous use of an action

EXAMPLE: Man being in the library without A.C. be killin us


3.A instead of I- Commonly replaced in verbs the i in a word is replaced within an a

EXAMPLE:That girl can sang instead of sing.


4.O instead of RE- only used at the end of words the re sound is eliminated and replaced with an o

EXAMPLE:Get in the house befo' I whoop yo' butt.


-4YColored

No comments:

Post a Comment